HOME DELIVERED MEALS SPECIALIST (Temporary)
March 23, 2020
Queens Community House (QCH)'s Home Delivered Meals program is seeking a Home Delivered Meals Specialist (Temporary). The Home Delivered Meals (HDML) program delivers fresh and frozen meals every weekday to homebound Queens Residents to help them stay healthy and independent in their own homes. As many older adults have little to no access to nutritious meals, often too frail or afflicted with health complications that prevent them from preparing meals for themselves or from taking part in congregate meals at one of QCH’s senior centers, we ensure that residents, aged 60 or older, receive nutritionally balanced meals.
The HDML Specialist is the principle contact for frail and homebound elderly clients enrolled in the Meals on Wheels program who are responsible for the delivery of meals and holiday packages. Contact is inclusive of driving, delivering, and brief interaction/face to face contact with each service recipient.
- Assist in packaging and transfer of catered home delivered meals
- Use appropriate heating and cooling devices when packing meals.
- Package meals into hot and cold containers each day for delivery as necessary
- Deliver meals to homebound clients on a daily basis.
- Maintain daily temperature log for hot and frozen meals
- Maintains accurate daily route, preflight and GOAL sheets
- Collects and records contributions and reports them to the supervisor daily
- Follows DFTA policy in regards to customer service and safety
- Maintain kosher guidelines for delivery of specialty/Kosher Meals.
- Follow agency protocol and procedure to report any difficulty with meal delivery (i.e. client not home, not answering door) or changes in client status (i.e. slurred speech, deterioration in client appearance, confusion).
- Follow agency protocol and procedure to report any observable issues at the clients’ homes (visible tampering with door or locks).
- Follow agency protocol and procedure to report any information the client provides regarding planned absences (hospital stays, vacations, etc.) that would prevent the client from being home to receive his or her meal.
- Report any problems with the assigned vehicle to the Transportation Coordinator immediately.
- Clean and sanitize all delivery bags, boxes, holding containers and truck compartments daily.
- Assist with kitchen and/or other program duties as assigned by supervisors.
- Must have a Clean/Valid New State Driver’s License with no moving violations in the last 24 months
- No convictions for or related to “Driving Under the Influence” or “Driving While Intoxicated”
- 3+ years of Driving Experience in New York City
- Knowledge of Queens roads/major thoroughfares and driving laws is required
- Can demonstrate sensitivity and an ability to relate to older adults with patience
- Ability to read, write, and speak English is required
- Ability to lift 20 lbs. from the ground required
- Must be able to reflect the mission and vision of Queens Community House in all of your job tasks
Status: Part-Time, Temporary, As Needed
Salary: $17.00 per hour
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please submit your cover letter and resume to Blanca Goris at BGoris@qchnyc.org with the subject line "HDML Specialist".
Queens Community House, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.