CHIEF OPERATING OFFICER
October 4, 2019
Queens Community House (QCH) is a multi-site, multi-service settlement house that serves the diverse population of Queens through a broad network of programs and services for children and youth, adults and families, and older adults. With a $22 Million annual budget, 32 program sites in 14 Queens Neighborhoods, and 25,000 program participants annually, we are a modern interpretation of the traditional settlement house, bringing to our work current best practices, innovative leadership, and a passion for social and economic justice. Our mission is to provide individuals and families with the tools to enrich their lives and build healthy, inclusive communities. We welcome individuals from diverse backgrounds and experiences, who are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives.
Queens Community House is seeking a Chief Operating Officer (COO). Reporting to the Executive Director and a member of the Executive Team, the COO provides leadership across all support functions of the organization with an aim for workplace excellence and an outstanding level of integrity and compliance. Specifically, the COO manages the following departments within QCH: IT and database administration, HR, administration and contract management, and facilities. QCH has a contract with an outside vendor to provide comprehensive accounting and financial management services. The COO works in close partnership with the ED to manage the vendor and is responsible for ensuring smooth communication between the outsourced fiscal team and QCH program and administrative staff, compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and other relevant regulations and standards, as well as timely and accurate communication of financial information to the staff, board, funders, and other stakeholders. The COO serves as QCH’s compliance officer, and is responsible for triage of legal issues and securing legal advice from board members, pro-bono counsel, and insurance companies as appropriate. The COO is responsible to ensure the provision of seamless operational support to the organization to ensure the organization is sustainable, advancing its mission, and positioned for growth.
As an integral member of the Executive Team, the COO plays a key role in leading and supporting the organization's strategic plan and fiscal compliance. QCH is at a pivotal moment in our history, with preparations underway for the purchase and renovation the Forest Hills Community Center, which serves both as our headquarters and largest program site.
- Manage outsourced fiscal team. Work in close partnership with their client manager, who serves in place of our CFO, to ensure high quality financial management.
- Supervise HR director, ensure the HR department consistently implements HR policies, and provides strategic support for programs with hiring, performance appraisal, professional development and succession planning, and disciplinary action.
- Supervise the Director of Administrative Services and the Director of Contracts and Compliance and oversee administration, facilities, contract management, and compliance.
- Oversee the architect and owner’s rep for the renovation of the Forest Hills Community Center.
- Supervise the IT Director and oversee the IT Department.
- Technology & Data: Supervise the Director of Data Analytics and oversee all aspects of Information Technology as well as the implementation of next generation data and technology architecture to support the acceleration of QCH and its mission.
- Systems and processes: develop and implement operational systems and associated processes, including status reporting, budgeting, talent and performance management, and procurement.
- Advisory Support: Provide support and advice to CEO and direct reports on areas of concern, opportunities for improvement, or projects requiring execution.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required, Master’s degree in a related field preferred.
- 10 years of relevant experience working in the non-profit/human services sector.
- Experience managing government contracts, preferably in New York.
- Demonstrated success in a high-level operations role with experience managing several of the relevant functions, including fiscal, IT, HR, contract management, compliance, facilities and administration.
- Management experience within a direct service organization.
- At least 5 years of supervisory experience
- Demonstrated expertise in most of the following: IT/business infrastructure, budgeting and financial management, legal risk, compliance, facilities management, human resources, and state, federal and local employment laws. Ability and willingness to develop expertise in any of the above areas as needed.
- Strong leadership and management abilities.
- Strategic thinking – ability to step back from the day-to-day to see the bigger picture.
- Ability to communicate technical concepts to a broad audience.
- Unimpeachable integrity.
- Ability to thrive and be highly effective in a fast-paced environment with competing priorities.
- Excellent business acumen and creative problem-solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and public speaking skills.
- Building collaborative relationships
- Customer orientation
- Mission focused and results driven
Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package, including: medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and a 403b plan, 27 annual leave days, 12 annual sick days, and 8 holidays.
If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Chief Operating Officer” to Recruitment@qchnyc.org
Note: Applications submitted without a formal cover letter will not be considered