COUNSELING SPECIALIST (HIGH SCHOOL LTW PROGRAM)
September 27, 2019
Queens Community House (QCH) is seeking a qualified Counseling Specialist with a strong commitment to youth development to work at our Young Adult Borough Center (YABC)/Learning to Work (LTW) program at High School for Arts and Business. The YABC/LTW Program is an alternative pathway to graduation for youth 17 years and older. The program is funded by the NYC Department of Education implemented in collaboration with and at the site of YABC at High School for Arts and Business. We are committed to providing students with support services to achieve their goal of earning a high school diploma.
The YABC/LTW Counseling Specialist will provide comprehensive services to program participants as required by contract and appropriate to their needs. As the student’s primary person, they will prepare them for positions in internships, provide post-secondary planning and what it means to be college/career ready. As the Counseling Specialist, they will provide support to students and advisors through individual/group sessions as needed, as well as identify resources and make appropriate referrals for students. The Counseling Specialist reports to the YABC Program Director.
- Serve as primary counseling specialist carrying a caseload and performing case management duties for the most at-risk students.
- Perform all duties related to carrying a primary counselor caseload, including daily attendance outreach, creating post-secondary plan with student, CUNY/FAFSA Applications, referral to CASP counselor, one-on-one counseling and group advisory.
- Conduct home visits and worksite visits to support and continuously engage students on a monthly basis.
- Provide assessment, counseling, mental health referrals in addition to follow-up services.
- Meet with advisors and their supervisor to consult on cases that require detailed assessment and interventions monthly or as needed.
- Create an environment that promotes learning in the field of social work principles and ethics.
- Plan and facilitate monthly case conferencing meeting for the entire QCH team.
- Engage student’s families to support positive outcomes for students.
- Keep accurate case records; input all case notes into Salesforce.
- Offer workshops, groups and events in areas relating to mental health such as abuse prevention, coping with stress, healthy relationships, peer pressure, etc.
- Serve as the point person for alumni services.
- Meet monthly with staff from sister LTW sites to share learning, compare approaches and develop new program ideas.
- Work closely with DOE staff regarding any and all mental health protocols.
- Provide continuous feedback and resources to meet the students’ individual needs.
- Assist with out-of-school issues and provide crisis intervention as needed.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Human Services, or related field required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with youth preferably in a NYC high school setting.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and facilitate activities and manage classroom expectations.
- Experience in facilitating group sessions in community services, leadership, college readiness and employment opportunities with a connection to counseling.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
- Excellent computer skills with various programs and willingness to learn new ones.
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such staff can earn annual leave days, sick days, and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings.
STATUS: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: Mid-High $40K range; excellent benefits
SCHEDULE: Monday-Thursday 12:30pm–8:30pm; Fridays 9am – 5pm.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Counseling Specialist” to LTW@qchnyc.org
Applications submitted without a formal cover letter will not be considered
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER --- DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE