YOUTHBUILD PLACEMENT SPECIALIST
September 13, 2019
We are seeking a qualified Placement Specialist with a strong commitment to job development and retention services for our YouthBuild program. The YouthBuild program engages out-of-school, low-income youth ages 16-24 and provides an alternative education and employment pathway that enables participants to obtain a high school equivalency diploma, advance toward post-secondary education or career-oriented employment and take responsibility for their families and communities. This position requires one full year of graduate follow-up services to students once they exit program. This position will report to the YouthBuild Program Director.
- Assess potential participants for level of ability and readiness for work as well as physical and mental capabilities.
- Place graduates in a post-secondary outcome such as college, long-term training/apprenticeship, employment, military in the first quarter after exit. Align placement with student’s individualized post-secondary plans.
- Provide assistance with job applications, mock interviews, job search techniques, job shadowing, and resume/cover letter creation.
- Support the completion of the CUNY and FAFSA application process with each eligible student on caseload.
- Arrange interviews with employers and work with participants on job retention issues
- Track retention in the second and third quarter after exit by collecting documentation in the form of pay stubs, bursar receipts, letters from training program, etc.
- Build strong relationships with employers, community colleges, registered apprenticeship programs, and other advanced training programs.
- Ensure that required weekly follow-up is made during the first three months after student placement. At least once per month, check-ins must be in person at their job site or educational program.
- Work closely with case manager to solve problems that are undermining placements of graduates.
- Create opportunities for alumni gatherings or other activities featuring opportunities for peer support, counseling, and further education on common challenges; these activities are important to help graduates make successful transitions.
- Maintain case files and record all student contact weekly in SalesForce and any other required reporting mechanisms.
- Take the lead on planning and executing trips and activities with an employment related theme: alternative to college fairs, career panels, workshops.
- Demonstrate appropriate communication with students, staff, collaborating partners, companies, and other stakeholders.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Services, Education, Social Work, and Human Resources preferred; equivalent combination of applicable training and experience may be substituted for education requirements.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with job development or case management services.
- Must be comfortable working with a diverse unemployed/under-employed youth population
- Ability to engage and build relationships with collaborative partners within the organization and externally.
- Connections to the construction industry preferred.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Demonstrated ability to collect and maintain data that is accurate and submitted on an assigned schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
- Proficiency with various computer programs and willingness to learn new ones.
STATUS: Full-Time; Non-Exempt
SALARY: Mid $40K range; commensurate with experience; excellent benefits
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday; 9 am-5 pm
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn generous annual leave and sick days, and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Placement Specialist” at Recruitment@qchnyc.org.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER -- DRUG FREE WORKPLACE