YOUNG MEN'S LEADERSHIP COORDINATOR
August 21, 2019
Queens Community House (QCH) is seeking a qualified Young Men’s Leadership Coordinator who is responsible for the general coordination and overall supervision of the Evening Teen Center program. The Evening Teen Center is a drop in program for youth ages 13-21 who are disconnected, at risk of school drop-out and/or struggling to navigate adolescence. The program engages youth through basketball, breakdancing and leadership groups and connects youth to agency services such as secondary options and employment services. As a member of the Counseling Services & Teen Outreach Team, the Coordinator will work collaboratively with the QCH community, funders and stakeholders to ensure participants can explore interests and passions, develop positive social connections, contribute to their community, become life-long learners, gain meaningful experiences, and instill a youth development approach towards our youth work. This position is based out of our Forest Hills Community Center location at 108-25 62nd Drive, Queens, NY.
- Responsible for overall supervision and coordination of the Evening Teen Center program; coverage areas include outreach, retention, program planning, curriculum development, and adhering to contractual & funder requirements.
- Conduct weekly street outreach to engage participants into QCH programs.
- Coordinate basketball practices, clinic, and league opportunities.
- Foster relationships with participants and their families to ensure they are engaged in programming and special events.
- Facilitate one weekly curriculum-based group to build participant confidence, leadership, refusal skills, and sense of community.
- Provide supportive counseling utilizing a youth development approach and be able to make referrals to other QCH services.
- Supervise Activity Specialists and act as Task Supervisor for an MSW Intern.
- Plan and coordinate culminating events.
- Develop collegial relationships with funders, staff, parents, regulatory agencies, and other key stakeholders.
- Responsible for monitoring purchases and inventory of all program related expenses, budget, and program administrative requirements including writing program reports, attendance at outside meetings, and maintaining participant files.
- Maintain registration, attendance, evaluation surveys and comply with all funder requirements.
- Ensure input of data in all databases, and submit reports, in a timely manner.
- Maintain regular communication with supervisor pertaining to all agency, funder, and program related matters.
- Participate in agency staff development and training opportunities as appropriate.
- Participate in monthly team meetings & case conferences.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Mental Health, Human Services, or related field required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years' of experience working with at-risk youth preferably in middle/high school setting with responsibilities related to athletics and outreach strategies.
- Experience with DYCD regulations and funding requirements.
- Experience in Group Work and Positive Youth Development practices a plus.
- Experience in facilitating groups in leadership, career/college readiness, and employment opportunities with a connection to counseling.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking, and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
- Excellent computer skills with various programs and willingness to learn new ones.
- Must be cleared of NYS DOH Fingerprinting Screening; PETS Clearance: NYS Clearance Review Background Check; 3 Reference Checks; physical examination with updated TB test.
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package for full-time staff includes medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such staff can earn generous annual leave and sick days, and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities.
STATUS: Full-time, Non-exempt
SALARY: Low $40K range with Excellent Benefits
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday, 1-9 pm with occasional weekends for special events
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Coordinator - YML” at QCHyouthservices@qchnyc.org.
Please Note: Resumes submitted without a formal cover letter will not be considered.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER --- DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE