ASSISTANT DIRECTOR - GENERATION Q
April 5, 2019
Queens Community House's Generation Q program is a youth drop-in center for LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer) youth ages 13-24. The Assistant Director will support the Director in the daily operation of Generation Q, support the youth served by the program, and ensure participant retention, and assist in outreach to schools, organizations and other community partners. The Assistant Director will report directly to the Director of Generation Q.
As a member of the Youth Services Team, the Assistant Director will work collaboratively with the QCH community, funders, and stakeholders to ensure participants can explore interests and passions, develop positive social connections, contribute to their community, become life-long learners, gain meaningful experiences, and instill a youth development approach towards our youth work.
- Assist with the management of the day to day operations of Generation Q
- Assist in the development and implementation of appropriate educational and recreational programming that meet the needs of the participants/group and focus on youth and social development.
- Attend community outreach and tabling events to promote Generation Q services and programs
- Assist in the development and facilitation of trainings for schools and outside organizations
- Attend meetings as it relates to program as well as mandatory trainings (Queens Community House Staff Development Days, NYS LGBT Network Retreats, Queens LGBT Consortium Meetings)
- Assist with the development and distribution of monthly program schedule and other program related materials and be able to speak effectively about Generation Q/QCH services.
- Collaborate with other QCH youth programs to offer additional supportive and recreational opportunities to participants
- Create and maintain NYC referral and resource list
- Support the development and facilitation of inclusive sexual health education curriculum
- Work with other youth programs to provide career counseling and various internship and employment opportunities
- Assist in organizing and facilitating events such as the annual career panel and Pride Month Activities
- Oversee program physical space when Program Director is off-site
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum two (2) years working with LGBTQ youth ages 13-24 in either teaching, group work, or program capacity
- Bachelor's degree required; Master’s degree in Education or Social Work preferred
- Knowledge of youth development principles such as SEL and ability to relate to young people
- Knowledge and understanding of the issues, needs and interests of LGBT youth, young adults, families and community, including comprehensive knowledge of the spectrum of gender identity and transgender issues.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, programming and organizational, verbal and written skills. Ability to work as a part of a team.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, use appropriate discretion, and respond sensitively to the needs of our clients
- Commitment to inclusive, multi-cultural programming; prior experience working within coalitions, with diverse communities, and an understanding of intersectional oppressions.
STATUS: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $40,000 plus comprehensive benefits package
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday, 11am-7pm; occasional evening and weekend hours required
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Full-time staff have access to medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off, and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn annual leave days, sick days, and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Generation Q Assistant Director” to QCHYouthServices@qchnyc.org.
Resumes submitted without a formal cover letter will not be considered.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - DRUG FREE WORKPLACE