BUSINESS SERVICES SPECIALIST
January 7, 2019
We are seeking a qualified Business Services Specialist with a strong commitment to youth development to work in our Queens Connect Program. Queens Connect is a collaboration among 4 community based organizations comprised of Queens Community House, Ocean Bay Local Development Corporation, Jacob Riis Neighborhood Settlement House and Sunnyside Community Services. The Business Services Specialist, reporting to the Queens Connect Director will coordinate all activities for program participants to gain familiarity with food sector workforce entry. S/he will be heavily involved with developing relationships with employers and following-up to ensure a successful collaboration. This position requires flexibility in schedule to meet business demands and travel to multiple locations in Queens.
- Responsible for developing job opportunities for program participants of Queens Connect, a specialized program targeted at young adult workforce entry; match participants with appropriate employers.
- Coordinate opportunities for young people to gain familiarity with food sector employment.
- Identify and engage food sector businesses in Queens, in manufacturing, food service and retail.
- Promote the programs placement and training services to businesses.
- Follow up with employers to ensure satisfaction and work with career coaches to address challenges.
- Demonstrate appropriate communication with students, staff, collaborating partners, companies and other stakeholders.
- Develop and maintain relationships with collaborating entities including community colleges, local business associations and key stakeholders.
- Establish and coordinate the Employer Advisory Council in close partnership with the Director of Queens Connect.
- Travel to various locations as part partnership development will be required within the borough of Queens.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Services, Education, Social Work, and Human Resources preferred; equivalent combination of applicable training and experience may be substituted for education requirements.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of experience working with youth preferably in a similar setting; food sector, job development, or staffing sales experience preferred.
- Self-starter with ability to quickly engage audiences.
- Good sales skills and instincts, including strategic development of prospect lists, networking and comfort with cold calling/visiting.
- Exceptional initiative with high tolerance for rejection and perseverant attitude.
- Ability to engage collaborative partners with the organization and with each other.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
- Proficiency with various computer programs and willingness to learn new ones.
STATUS: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $40,000-$45,000 Commensurate with experience
SCHEDULE: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm with flexibility for events, meeting and training time.
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn up to 27 annual leave days, 12 sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Business Services Specialist” at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Queens Community House - Queens Connect Program
108-25 62nd Drive
Forest Hills, NY 11375
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - DRUG FREE WORKPLACE