December 18, 2018
We are seeking a qualified Counseling Specialist to maintain a caseload of students and provide counseling, attendance outreach, crisis intervention and follow-up at Queens Satellite High School for Opportunity. They may be responsible for mediating family sessions. They will keep accurate case records along with offering workshops and groups in areas relating to mental health such as substance abuse prevention, coping with stress, healthy relationships, peer pressure etc. The Counseling Specialist will offer individual/group counseling as needed to students referred to by program staff and DOE colleagues.
- Serve as primary clinical social worker carrying a caseload and performing individual counseling or case management for the most at-risk students.
- Perform all duties related to carrying a primary counselor caseload, including attendance outreach, one-on-one support, group advisory, home and worksite visit.
- Counsel students on the creation and implementation of a post-secondary plan for college, training and /or employment.
- Provide a minimum of 2 individual sessions per student per month; one on academic progress and one on career advisement then maintain case files and enter weekly progress note into Google forms.
- Plan and facilitate monthly case conferencing meeting for the entire QCH team.
- Meet as needed with advisors and their supervisor to consult on cases that require detailed assessment and interventions.
- Offer workshops and groups in areas relating to mental health such as abuse prevention, coping with stress, healthy relationships, peer pressure, etc.
- Meet monthly with staff from sister LTW sites to share learning, compare approaches and develop new program ideas.
- Assist with out-of-school issues and provide crisis intervention as needed.
- Participate in and represent the agency in professional meetings and committees.
- Refer students to the CASP case manager who has applied to LaGuardia and or Queensborough Community College as their 1st or 2nd choice on their CUNY application. Introduce the internship program and refer appropriate students to the Internship Coordinator.
- Engage on-going communication with parents, students, and assist families with identified needs of participants to support positive outcomes.
- Ensure that required follow-up is made to graduates in the months of July and February.
- Facilitate communication and structured meetings between students and teachers.
- Assist with planning and implementation of school-based events.
- Connect students to outside resources and make appropriate referrals if needed.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Master’s degree in social work, psychology, education or related degree.
- At least 2 years supervisory experience.
- Team orientated and vested in the development of staff.
- Previous work experience with youth in a NYC high school setting a plus.
- Takes initiative and communicates effectively. Addresses concerns in a timely manner and is professional always.
- Works cooperatively with other QCH and DOE staff and be responsive to administrative priorities and concerns and supportive of the over-all agency goals and priorities.
- Meet a variety of developmental needs of participants including social, emotional and cognitive; and reflects youth development principals.
- Models youth development principals and create a caring environment in which every participant is treated with respect.
STATUS: Full-Time, Exempt
SALARY: Low 50’s w/ Excellent Benefits
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm with flexibility for events, home visits, meeting and training time
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package includes medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn up to 27 annual leave days, 12 sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Counseling Specialist– LTW” to Ivonne Torres at email@example.com.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - DRUG FREE WORKPLACE