ACTIVITY SPECIALIST – ACCESS FOR YOUNG WOMEN
December 10, 2018
We are seeking a qualified Activity Specialist with a strong commitment to youth development for our Access for Young Women program. The Activity Specialist will coordinate the day to day functions of Access for Young Women, focusing on leadership development while providing an engaging and fun experience conducting activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, practice and implementation.
- Provide gender specific programming for approximately 60 young women ages 11-18.
- Facilitate three weekly curriculum based group meetings to build confidence, leadership and refusal skills, and sense of community among participants.
- Plan and coordinate community service projects, STEM Career Panel, and guest speakers.
- Plan and coordinate all aspects of the annual Youth Leadership Conference.
- Maintain enrollment and encourage participation of youth in the program.
- Understand and enforce program expectations, policies and protocols to ensure a safe and respectful environment in alignment with agency and funder protocols and guidelines.
- Communicate with Director about any schedule and group modifications, behavioral or environmental issues.
- Role model and demonstrate appropriate communication with all stakeholders of the program (participants, families and funders).
- Ensuring safety of all participants.
- Create a nurturing and fostering atmosphere to learn and create a sense of belonging for participants.
- Secure classrooms and space used, at the end of program.
- Attend weekly staff meetings and monthly team meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor(s).
- Minimum of 21 years old.
- BA in Sociology/Human Services/Women’s Studies preferred or enrollment in College in a related field (Social Work, Education/Human Development/Sociology/Human Services—for at least two years.
- At least three (3) years of experience in leading and conducting activities for youth (preferably Middle School and High School female population) in school, after school or camp settings.
- A specialization in the field of Leadership, STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics), or Public Speaking, or Community Service.
- Strong facilitation, conflict resolution and group management skills in working with groups of youth to engage them in discussions in the areas of Leadership, community service, civic engagement or debate and current events.
- Knowledge of skill development strategies in working with middle school/high school youth and gender based programming.
- Interest in developing and providing quality hands on inquiry-based project based projects based on participant, school and community needs.
- Strong work ethic and professional demeanor and team-oriented attitude.
- Organized, self-motivated and effective time management skills.
- Ability to motivate participants to participate in activities and promote leadership skill development.
- Computer savvy and excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be cleared of NYS DOH Fingerprinting Screening; NYS Clearance Review Background Check; 3 Reference Checks; physical examination with updated TB test.
STATUS: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $21.00 P/hour
SCHEDULE: Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 3:00pm-8:00pm; additional prep, meeting, training time
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn annual leave days, sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Activity Specialist” to Tabitha Gamonski at email@example.com
“Queens Community House -Access for Young Women”
Attention: Tabitha Gamonski
Queens Community House
108-25 62nd Drive
Forest Hills, NY 11375
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - DRUG FREE WORKPLACE