SPORTS ACTIVITY SPECIALIST @ J.H.S 157
August 14, 2018
We are seeking a qualified Activity Specialist with a strong commitment to youth development for our afterschool program at JHS 157. The Activity Specialist will serve as a model for middle school youth by providing an engaging and fun experience, while conducting activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, practice and implementation.
- Understand and enforce program expectations, policies and protocols to ensure a safe and respectful environment in alignment with agency, school and funder protocols and guidelines.
- Referee in-house basketball and soccer games.
- Organize tournament schedule and track tournament team standings.
- Train staff in basketball/soccer coaching and refereeing.
- Ensure areas used are kept organized and clean; set up and collect sports equipment after each game.
- Assisting with event planning and field trips.
- Participate in agency events, staff meetings and professional development.
- Creating and implementing effective and interesting age appropriate lesson plans and curriculum that adhere to program goals.
- Communicate with Director about any schedule and classroom modifications, behavioral or environmental issues.
- Role Model and demonstrate appropriate communication with all stakeholders of the program (participants, families, teachers, staff and funders).
- Ensure physical and emotional safety of all participants.
- Create a nurturing and fostering atmosphere to learn and create a sense of belonging for participants.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor(s).
- Minimum of 18 years old.
- Minimum of High School Diploma or GED. Enrollment in in an institution of high education preferred; college studies in psychology, education, social work, or related field a plus.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with middle school youth in a similar setting.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and facilitate leadership and sports enrichment activities with an understanding of youth development principles.
- Knowledge of basketball or soccer required; previous experience playing, coaching, and/or refereeing a plus.
- Ability to utilize and maintain a soccer and basketball score book and calculate individual players’ statistics required.
- Knowledge of youth development principles such as: Social Emotional Learning (SEL) a plus.
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength-based and/or youth development perspective.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills.
- Must be cleared by regulating agencies as a condition of employment including NYS DOH Fingerprinting Screening; DOE fingerprinting; NYS Clearance Review Background Check; NYS Department of Justice clearance; and receive medical clearance from physician.
STATUS: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $21.00 P/Hour
SCHEDULE: Monday through Friday 2:15PM-5:30PM; with additional prep, meeting and training time.
This position begins immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn annual leave days, sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter, resume and contact information of 3 professional references (name, email and phone number), with subject line “Activity Specialist” to Robert Borja at Rborja@qchnyc.org. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - DRUG FREE WORKPLACE