DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS
October 9, 2020
Queens Community House (QCH) is a multi-site nonprofit organization serving the diverse population of Queens through a broad network of programs for children and youth, adults and families, and older adults. Our mission is to provide individuals and families with the tools to enrich their lives and build healthy, inclusive communities. We are a modern interpretation of the traditional settlement house, bringing to our work innovative leadership and a passion for social and economic justice. We welcome amazing individuals who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives.
We are seeking a Director of Communications who will coordinate the organization's overall communications strategy. This position reports to the Chief Strategy Officer and is part of QCH’s senior management team.
The Director of Communications is responsible for creating and implementing a comprehensive communications strategy that promotes and advances the mission and profile of QCH. The position requires experience in media relations, strong writing and editing skills, and social media expertise.
Areas of responsibilities include:
• Responsible for creating, implementing and measuring the success of a comprehensive marketing, communications and public relations program that will enhance QCH’s image and position within the marketplace and the general public.
• Ensure articulation of QCH’s desired image and position, assure consistent communication of image and position throughout QCH, and assure communication of image and position to all constituencies, both internal and external.
• Responsible for editorial direction, design, production and distribution of all QCH publications.
• Provide counsel to QCH Program Directors on marketing, communications, outreach and public relations.
• Manage all media relations activities including: building relationships with print, radio and TV reporters and pitching stories; writing press releases; tracking news coverage.
• Serve as point of contact for media and public questions.
• Manage QCH’s website, ensuring content is accessible, timely, and well-organized, and also work to increase site traffic.
• Manage QCH’s social media presence, implementing strategies to grow the organization’s
following on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and other platforms.
• Develop online relationships with influencers, QCH partners, funders and supporters.
• Work closely with the Development Director to create promotional and fundraising materials,
• Develop and implement a plan for communicating regularly with donors and other
organizational supporters, through regular newsletters, e-blasts, and other forms of
• Bachelor’s degree or higher in Communications, Public relations or a related field required
• A minimum 5 years of skills, knowledge and experience in the design and execution of marketing, communications and public relations activities required
• A minimum 5 years of overseeing the design and production of print materials and publication experience required
• Passion for the QCH mission and vison
• Experience with basic desktop publishing and video production
• Strong time-management and organizational skills
• Strong oral and written communications skills
• Experience and comfort using a variety of social media platforms
• Good story-teller
Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a
comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package includes medical/dental/vision offerings, life
insurance, flexible spending accounts, and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such
staff can earn up to 27 annual leave days (17 in your first year), 12 sick days, and enjoy most federal
holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities.
Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Salary: $55,000– $65,000 range; commensurate with experience
Schedule: 35 hours per week
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our
diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please submit your cover letter and
resume, with subject line “Director of Communications” to email@example.com.
Queens Community House, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and
applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or
status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.