August 18, 2020
Queens Community House (QCH) is a multi-site nonprofit organization serving the diverse population of Queens through a broad network of programs for children and youth, adults and families, and older adults. Our mission is to provide individuals and families with the tools to enrich their lives and build healthy, inclusive communities. We are a modern interpretation of the traditional settlement house, bringing to our work innovative leadership and a passion for social and economic justice. We welcome amazing individuals who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives.
We are seeking a qualified Assistant Program Director with a strong commitment to youth development to work in our comprehensive year-round Youth Development Centers (after school, holiday, and summer camp programs). The Assistant Program Director, in the absence of the Program Director, will serve as the point person to all staff, participants, parents, and stakeholders. The Assistant Director will ensure that staff are providing/facilitating fun and engaging activities with a focus on: Academic Support; Leadership Development; Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM); Literacy; Healthy Living; and Physical Recreation. They will also assist the Program Director in ensuring that all DYCD, DOH, DOE, and QCH protocols are in place and being followed.
· Understand, adhere, and enforce after-school/summer camp program expectations, policies, and protocols as laid out by Program Director.
· Assist with the day-to-day administration and operation of after-school, holiday camp, and summer camp programs.
· Maintain attendance, participant information, and program schedules in DYCD connect database.
· Lead 1 staff meeting monthly.
· Attend and contribute to YDC bi-monthly “Rockstar Meetings”.
· Assist with Program Development and daily supervision of staff and participants.
· Work closely with Program Director and School Principal to provide “wrap around services” wherever possible to meet and/or exceed program expectations.
· Assist Program Director in recruitment events within the school.
· Conduct monthly fire drills.
· Ensure staff and participant files are in compliance with the Department of Health (DOH) School Age Child Care (SACC) regulations.
· Attain a minimum of 15 hours of SACC training per fiscal year.
· Maintain daily school foods records.
· Coach and provide support to Educational Specialist, Activity Specialist, Senior Group Leaders, Group Leaders, and Volunteers.
· Ensure program runs smoothly in the absence of Program Director.
· Maintain office equipment and inventory.
· Support Program Director in the organization of special events such as: talent shows, awards, culminating events, and parent meetings.
· Communicate with Program Director about any issues including schedule modifications or important behavioral or environmental difficulties.
· Other duties or special projects as assigned by Program Director.
· Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Education, Sociology, Psychology, or related field required.
· Minimum of three (3) years of experience working with youth (elementary or middle school aged/based experience a plus).
· Minimum of one (1) year of experience supervising staff.
· Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking, time management, and communication skills required.
· Experience working with middle school youth and youth of diverse backgrounds preferred.
· Knowledge of youth development principles such as: Social Emotional Learning (SEL) a plus.
· Excellent communication skills and a willingness to take initiative and manage tasks while working in a multi-faceted, busy environment.
· Ability to motivate participants to participate in activities which focus on: Academic Support; Leadership Development; Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM); Literacy; Healthy Living; and Physical Recreation.
· Must be able to attend occasional morning, evening, or weekend meetings and/or trainings.
· Must have a commitment to work from a strength-based and/or youth development perspective.
· Must be able to work holidays.
· Must possess the ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
· Must be cleared and maintain clearance throughout duration of employment by NYS DOH and DOE fingerprinting screening, NYS Central Registrar Background Check, 3 Reference checks, Staff Exclusion List (SEL), and must provide a physical examination with updated TB test.
We value health and wellness too and as such staff can earn up to 40 hours of sick time per year. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and networking opportunities.
Status: Part-Time, Non-Exempt Salary: $23 per hour Schedule: Monday – Friday, 20-25 hours per week
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Assistant Program Director” to YDCcareers@qchnyc.org
Queens Community House, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. Drug-Free Workplace.