August 17, 2020
We are seeking a qualified Maintenance Worker, reporting to the Supervisor of Maintenance, to support the day-to-day cleanliness of QCH’s facilities and who exemplifies quality care in upholding the health and safety standards outlined by government health organizations. The custodian is responsible for the maintenance, care and equipment of internal/external areas by completing specific tasks related to cleaning, plumbing, minor electrical work, carpentry, or other areas of maintenance expertise. The ability to operate equipment and machinery and lift in excess of 50 pounds is required.
- Candidate must be able to work the following hours: Monday-Friday with flexibility to work evenings or weekends as needed.
- Responsible for opening or closing of facilities per assigned schedule.
- Perform skilled maintenance work in the areas of trash removal, sweeping, mopping, dusting, scrubbing, and buffing floors and/or other areas of expertise while observing OSHA standards.
- Clean and sanitize furniture, bathrooms, windows, walls, stairwells, lights, and equipment (e.g. activity tables, trash cans and bins) and all other elements assigned in a specific area.
- Complete external maintenance tasks and perform preventive work ensuring areas are free of litter, snow and/or hazardous items.
- Support inventory maintenance, upkeep and stocking of supplies.
- Manage room setup to ensure all rooms/spaces are prepared for classes, meetings, events, etc.; breakdown rooms once activities are completed.
- Assemble furniture and make repairs as needed.
- Transport materials and supplies to offsite locations.
- Report all damage to the physical plant, related breakage, malfunction and emergencies immediately upon discovery.
- Support planning and execution of special janitorial projects, initiatives and/or QCH events as necessary.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- High school degree or equivalency required; some college coursework or specialized training preferred.
- 2 - 3 years of relevant maintenance, custodial or janitorial experience.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and work weekends as needed.
- A valid New York State Driver’s License with clean driving record.
- Ability to work on a variety of physically-demanding tasks and lift 50 pounds.
- Familiarity with OSHA standards.
- Knowledge of buffing and other maintenance machines preferred.
- Ability to work independently and as contributing team member to ensure building upkeep.
- Demonstrate attendance and punctuality in meeting required and flexible schedule.
- Ability to comprehend written and oral instruction (work orders) and document work.
- Demonstrate desire to learn on the job and advance skills.
Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package includes medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such staff can earn up to 27 annual leave days (17 for the first two years), 12 sick days, and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities.
Status: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
Salary: $19 per hour
Schedule: 35 hours per week, flexibility required regarding days of week and time of the day
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Maintenance Worker” to email@example.com.
Queens Community House, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.