CASE WORKER [BILINGUAL CHINESE/ENGLISH] (Temporary)
May 8, 2020
We are seeking a qualified Bilingual Caseworker (Chinese [Mandarin]/English) with a strong commitment to social services and older adults to work in our senior centers and NORC programs. QCH’s five senior centers provide culturally-rich environments where older adults can engage with peers, make new friends, enjoy a hot meal, keep physically active, learn new skills and explore new interests, and give back through volunteer opportunities. The Naturally Occurring Retirement Community (NORC) program in Forest Hills encourages “aging in place” by providing senior residents with case management, preventive health services, educational and cultural presentations, trips, and recreational and health-promoting activities. The Case Worker will provide services to participants in these programs by offering information and referrals, housing assistance, and benefits enrollment assistance.
- Interview clients to determine problems they encounter, such as personal and family adjustments, finances, physical and mental impairments, to determine nature and degree of problem.
- Provide older adult clients with accurate and appropriate information on available services, benefits and entitlements.
- Provide case work assistance services to senior center and older adult community residents; develop case notes and enter them into the funder database; prioritize action items and follow-ups to determine action outcomes; conduct case follow ups to ensure that appropriate services are being provided; develop appropriate care plans and maintain monthly client logs.
- Compile and prepare required monthly reports and statistics.
- Meet the funder’s annual unit requirements.
- Consult with program directors to ensure that client needs are met that reflect culturally sensitive options, and to make efficient use of community resources.
- Advocate and intervene with other departments and agencies on behalf of the program participants, and act as a liaison with other agency programs and external resources when needed.
- Attend conferences, trainings and staff meetings as required.
- Provide staff coverage across department sites as needed.
- Reports directly to the Director of Senior Centers.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or a related field required.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience working with older adults or case management senior services sector.
- Must be able to fluently speak both English and Chinese (Mandarin).
- Knowledge of benefits/entitlements and community organizing experience are a plus.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to build and sustain relationships.
- Self-motivated and resourceful; able to work independently as well as collaboratively with staff.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel and Outlook and database management/search tools. PeerPlace knowledge is a plus.
Queens Community House values the health and wellness of our staff, and as such, staff can earn up to 40 hours of sick time per year. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and networking opportunities.
Status: Temporary Full-Time until 6/30/2020
Salary: $18 per hour
Schedule: 35 hours per week
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Bilingual Caseworker” at SeniorServices@qchnyc.org.
Queens Community House, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.