CENSUS OUTREACH WORKER [BILINGUAL RUSSIAN/ENGLISH] (TEMPORARY)
January 9, 2020
Queens Community House (QCH) is seeking qualified Census Outreach Worker with fluent Russian/English language skills and a strong commitment to civic responsibility and passion for community outreach. The Census Outreach Worker will support the work across our broad network of programming engaging participants, and the community at large, in Census 2020 participation. Specific focus will be placed on increasing Census return rates in the historically undercounted communities where QCH has program hubs. The Census Outreach Worker will report directly to the Census Manager and will implement outreach and inreach strategies to engage and educate staff, participants, and the broader community in Census 2020 activity, especially focusing on QCH’s Community Center in Forest Hills and Beacon programs. This position requires a creative, dynamic, flexible and collaborative personality with exceptional people and organizational skills that lead to quickly engaging, relating to and motivating a wide variety of stakeholders.
Working under the leadership of the Census Manager, the Census Outreach Worker will:
- Build strong relationships with historically undercounted communities in order to encourage census self-response
- Engage and inform staff and participants about the Census through a variety of activities, including canvassing, tabling at events, text-banking, teach-ins, and other types of events
- Participate in trainings and professional development opportunities related to census 2020
- Support volunteer recruitment and training activities
- Serve as liaisons between volunteers and Census Manager
- Provide translations when necessary
- Track census engagement activities using both qualitative and quantitative methods
- Other duties and special projects as assigned
- Proficiency in written and spoken Russian language required.
- Experience in community engagement, campaign work, or other forms of direct outreach
- Excellent communication, project management, and multi-tasking skills
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills
- Understanding of New York City’s diversity and experience working with people of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion
- Proficiency in use of technology such as laptop computers and tablets
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, and Outlook
This is a 4-month part-time temporary position, minimum 15 hours/week, $17/hour from February 2020 – May 2020. The position is available immediately.
We are a mission-driven organization that looks to enrich the lives of our diverse participant base and fight for increased opportunity and social justice in the communities we serve. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Census Outreach Worker” to:
Anna Dioguardi Moyano, Director of Community Building at email@example.com
Samuel Massol, Census Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Note: Resumes without an accompanying cover letter will not be considered.
Queens Community House, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.