GROUP LEADERS (AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS)
October 10, 2019
Queens Community House (QCH) is seeking Group Leaders with a strong commitment to youth development for our After School Programs. Group Leaders are responsible for the direct guidance, supervision, and safety of youth under their care, while ensuring an engaging and intellectually stimulating experience. Group Leaders will serve as models for elementary school or middle school aged youth by providing an engaging and fun experience, while conducting activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, practice and implementation.
- Understand and enforce program expectations, policies, and protocols to ensure a safe and respectful environment in alignment with agency, school, and funder protocols and guidelines.
- Create and implement effective and interesting age appropriate lesson plans and curriculum that adhere to program goals.
- Collaborate with after school staff around themes and special projects and take supervision and direction from the Educational Specialist, Director, and Assistant Directors.
- Communicate with Assistant Director and Director about any schedule and classroom modifications, behavioral, or environmental issues.
- Role Model and Demonstrate appropriate communication with all stakeholders of the program (participants, families, teachers, staff and funders).
- Assist participants in homework and provide them with tools to succeed in school.
- Assist with the organization and implementation of special events, activities, and projects.
- Ensure safety of all participants.
- Create a nurturing and fostering atmosphere to learn and create a sense of belonging for participants.
- Secure classrooms and space used, at the end of program.
- Attend weekly staff meeting and complete professional development hours indicated at the time of hiring.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor(s).
- Minimum of 18 years old.
- HS diploma or equivilent plus enrollment in College in a related field (Education/Human Development/Sociology/Social Work/Human Services).
- At least one (1) year of experience in leading and conducting activities for youth in after school or camp settings.
- Strong facilitation, conflict resolution, and group management skills in working with groups of youth to engage them in discussions in the areas of leadership, community service, civic engagement or debate and current events.
- Ability to stay calm and collected during stressful situations
- Knowledge of skill development strategies in working with middle and/or elementary school youth and gender-based programming.
- Interest in developing and providing quality hands-on inquiry-based project-based projects that reflect participant, school, and community needs.
- Strong work ethic, professional demeanor, and team-oriented attitude.
- Organized, self –motivated, and effective time management skills.
- Ability to motivate participants to participate in activities and promote leadership skill development.
- Computer savvy and excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be cleared of NYS DOH and DOE Fingerprinting Screening; NYS Clearance Review Background Check; 3 Reference Checks; physical examination with updated TB test.
STATUS: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Group Leader” to Lorraine Hernandez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – DRUG FREE WORKPLACE