LEADERSHIP ACTIVITY SPECIALIST
October 10, 2019
Queens Community House (QCH) welcomes amazing individuals who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives. Our Children and Youth division for ages 5 to 21 allow participants to explore interests and passions, develop positive social connections, contribute to their community, become life-long learners, and gain meaningful experiences. We are seeking a qualified Activity Specialist for Leadership with a strong commitment to youth development for our afterschool programs. The Leadership Activity Specialist will serve as a model for middle school youth by providing an engaging and fun experience, while conducting activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, practice and implementation.
- Understand and enforce program expectations, policies and protocols to ensure a safe and respectful environment in alignment with agency, school and funder protocols and guidelines.
- Creating and implementing effective and interesting age appropriate lesson plans and curriculum that adhere to program goals.
- Collaborate with after school staff around themes and special projects and take supervision from Educational Specialist, Assistant Director, and Director.
- Communicate with Assistant Director and Director about any schedule and classroom modifications, behavioral or environmental issues.
- Model and Demonstrate appropriate communication with all stakeholders of the program (participants, families, teachers, staff and funders).
- Assist participants in homework and provide them with tools to succeed in school.
- Assist with the organization and implementation of special events, activities and projects.
- Ensuring safety of all participants.
- Create a nurturing and fostering atmosphere to learn and create a sense of belonging for participants.
- Secure classrooms and space used, at the end of program.
- Attend weekly staff meeting and complete professional development hours indicated at the time of hiring.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor(s).
- Minimum of 18 years old.
- Enrollment in College in a related field (Leadership, Community Service or Education fields preferred).
- At least three (3) years of experience in leading and conducting activities for youth (preferably Middle School) in after school or camp setting.
- A specialization in the field of Leadership, Community Service and Community Engagement for Middle School aged students.
- Strong facilitation, conflict resolution and group management skills in working with groups of youth to engage them in discussions in the areas of leadership, community service, civic engagement or debate and current events.
- Knowledge of skill development strategies in working with middle school youth.
- Interest in developing and providing quality hand on inquiry-based project based projects based on participant, school and community needs.
- Strong work ethic and professional demeanor and team-oriented attitude.
- Organized, self-motivated and effective time management skills.
- Ability to motivate participants to participate in activities and promote leadership skill development.
- Computer savvy and excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be cleared of NYS DOH Fingerprinting Screening; NYS Clearance Review Background Check; 3 Reference Checks; physical examination with updated TB test.
STATUS: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $18-21.00 P/Hour
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday, 2:00pm-5:30pm; with additional prep, meeting and training time.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Leadership Activity Specialist” to Lorraine Hernandez at firstname.lastname@example.org
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER --- DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE