YOUTH DEVELOPMENT SPECIALIST (HIGH SCHOOL LTW PROGRAM)
October 9, 2019
Queens Community House (QCH) is seeking a qualified Youth Development Specialist with a strong commitment to youth development to work at the Learning to Work (LTW) program located at VOYAGES (Viable Option for Young Adults to Grow Excel and Succeed) Preparatory High School South. The Learning to Work (LTW) program provides services to 265 students, ages 16-21 who are over-aged for grade, under-credited, and have spent at least one year in another high school to earn a high school diploma and gain valuable vocational and life skills supports. Using the Primary Person Model, the Youth Development Specialist will: guide students towards removing barriers toward graduation, engage students in college preparatory activities, provide supportive services, and increase self-direction and self-sufficiency through meaningful career exploration experiences.
- Counsel each student on the creation and implementation of a post-secondary plan for college, training or employment.
- Conduct on-going daily attendance outreach, including home and worksite visits.
- Provide a minimum of 2 individual counseling sessions per student; one on academic progress and one on career advisement.
- Monitor academic progress and counseling focused on progress reports and report cards.
- Support and guide on the college enrollment process; begin the CUNY and FAFSA application process with each eligible student.
- Refer students to the CASP Case Manager who have applied to LaGuardia College, BMCC, and/ or Queensborough Community College as their 1st or 2nd choice on their CUNY application.
- Conduct advisory groups by facilitating discussion in the following content areas: job readiness, career exploration, conflict resolution, political education, mediation, leadership, community service, youth employment, psychoeducation, etc.
- Maintain ongoing communication with parents and guardians of participants to support positive outcomes for the students’ and assist families with identified needs.
- Maintain case files and enter weekly progress note into Google forms.
- Facilitate communication and structured meetings between students and teachers; support referrals as appropriate.
- Prepare and participate in required program or agency meetings (supervisory meeting, agency quarterly staff meetings and parent-teacher conferences).
- Work collaboratively with DOE staff; take initiative and demonstrate flexibility in responding to school needs.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in the field of Social Work, Human Services, or other related field.
- Minimum of two (2) years' of experience working with youth preferably in a NYC high school setting.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and facilitate activities and manage classroom expectations.
- Experience in facilitating group sessions in community services, leadership, college readiness and employment opportunities with a connection to counseling.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
- Excellent computer skills with various programs and willingness to learn new ones.
- Must obtain Dept. of Education fingerprint clearance.
- Ability to maintain fingerprint clearance throughout the duration of employment.
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, nd a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such staff can earn annual leave days, sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities.
STATUS: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: Mid $30k range; excellent benefits
SCHEDULE: Monday- Friday; 8:00am-4:00pm; occasional evening hours for school events.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “ Youth Development Specialist – Voyages South” to email@example.com.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER --- DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE