HOUSING AIDE (TEMPORARY)
September 16, 2019
Queens Community House (QCH) is seeking a qualified Housing Aide with a strong commitment to social justice to work in our Eviction Prevention Program. The Eviction Prevention Program assists low-income families with accessing necessary and available rent support programs to address the family’s need for housing stability. The program includes assistance with: housing education, counseling, landlord/tenant mediation, household assessment, housing court navigation and apartment search. The Housing Aide is responsible for permeating QCH’s mission, vision and values into the work, the interactions between staff and the program’s participant base.
- Conduct weekly follow-up on cases to keep participants engaged in program.
- Schedule appointments accordingly.
- Answer phones in a professional manner.
- Conduct basic intake process.
- Enter case notes in database.
- Collect basic enrollment information.
- Gather and copy documents needed to process FHEPS applications.
- Make referrals to the Housing Specialists.
- Keep track of DSS checks: pick up dates and release dates.
- Assist Housing Specialists with assessment of apartments by accompanying them to inspections of units.
- Attend meetings representing the agency as directed.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Human Services, or related field preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years' of experience working in similar setting providing direct client service and engaging in field activities.
- Knowledge of NYC housing practices, court regulations and actions.
- Familiarity with general casework management principles as they apply to low income housing assistance programs and socioeconomic issues.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
- Ability to work with diverse populations and to speak comfortably with people you may not know.
STATUS: Temporary – Ends 12/27/19
SALARY: $17 per hour
SCHEDULE: 27 hours a week.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Housing Aide” to Marilyn Sotomayor at email@example.com