GROUP LEADERS & ACTIVITY SPECIALISTS (BEACON PROGRAMS)
September 13, 2019
Beacon programs are collaborative school-based youth and community development centers serving children age six and older, and adults of all ages. The Beacon operates Monday-Friday from 1:30 PM-9:30 PM, Saturdays from 9 AM-5 PM, and during school holidays, school recesses and in the summer from 8 AM-6 PM. Our Beacon is designed to help young people develop the skills and the mindset they need to succeed in their educational and career settings, and to become active participants and leaders in their community.
We are seeking passionate, motivated, eager to learn Group Leaders and Activity Specialists to actively supervise, engage and develop youth participants in grades ranging from Kindergarten-12th.
- Actively monitor, engage and ensure safety of participants during all program activities, including pick-up, snack, transitions, field trips, clubs, activities, and dismissal.
- Design and lead enriching and developmental activities for youth (sports, games, literacy, arts and crafts, theatre, field trips, etc.).
- Develop and implement age-appropriate curriculum; submit sequenced lesson plans in advance.
- Demonstrate professional and appropriate communication with students, teachers, staff, and other stakeholders.
- Engage with youth and use appropriate strategies to preemptively defuse inappropriate behavior and encourage positive interactions demonstrating effective program and classroom management.
- Ensure proper care of all area materials, organize room and report any misused or damaged materials to a supervisor in order to ensure safety and effective operations.
- Responsible for tracking, completion and timely submission of all program reports relative to this position, including, but not limited to participant attendances, performance, supply requests, lesson plans and time sheets.
- Support organization of special events such as culminating showcases, awards, trainings, and parent meetings as necessary.
- Communicate with direct supervisor about any issues including schedule modifications or important behavioral or environmental difficulties.
- Actively participate in training and professional development to continuously increase knowledge, principles and practices of child and youth development and actively use this knowledge to achieve the goals of the program.
- Always demonstrate professional behavior. Serve as a positive role model for participants and maintain appropriate and professional boundaries with participants at all times.
- Promote responsible and healthy decision-making among all participants.
- Promote an inclusive, welcoming, and respectful environment that embraces diversity.
- Develop social-emotional skills, leadership skills, team-building and self-advocacy among all participants.
- Foster academic and non-academic skills and broaden participant horizons.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Minimum of High School Diploma or GED and must be currently enrolled in an institution of higher education.
- Minimum of one year after-school work experience, one full summer camp work experience, or two years related experience.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and facilitate leadership, community service, civic engagement and enrichment activities.
- Ability to develop lesson plans and curricula.
- Must have a commitment to work from a strengths-based and positive youth development perspective.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
- Ability to meet School Age Child Care (SACC) requirements and obtain clearances including: background checks, fingerprinting by NYC Dept of Health, fingerprinting by NYC Dept of Ed, medical clearance and TB test documentation.
Forest Hills – Beacon @ JHS 190
68-17 Austin St., Forest Hills, NY 11375
Ozone Park – Beacon @ JHS 210
93-11 101st Ave., Ozone Park, NY 11416
Jackson Heights/Corona – Beacon @ PS 149
93-11 34th Ave., Jackson Heights, NY 11372
These positions are available immediately. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn up to 40 hours of sick time per year and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and networking opportunities.
STATUS: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: Hourly rates are commensurate with experience.
SCHEDULE: Some availability Mon –Fri for after-school hours (2:00-5:45P) and/or evening hours (6- 9:30P) and/or Saturdays (9A – 5P); totaling a minimum of 6 and a maximum of 24 hours per week.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and your resume with subject line “Group Leader/Activity Specialist” to Oswald Araujo at BeaconYouth@qchnyc.org. Cover letter should state which position you are applying for, your specific skills and your availability.
Resumes submitted without a cover letter will not be considered.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - DRUG FREE WORKPLACE