DIRECTOR OF COUNSELING
August 29, 2019
Queens Community House (QCH) is seeking a qualified Director of Counseling with a strong commitment to educational achievement to work in our Learning to Work Transfer School program at VOYAGES Preparatory High School. The Learning to Work (LTW) Transfer School program is an alternative pathway to graduation for youth 16 years and older, funded by the NYC Department of Education and implemented in collaboration with Queens Community House. We are committed to providing support services to students who desire to pursue their high school diploma.
The Director of Counseling (DC) is responsible for counseling, general coordination, and supervision of 4 advocate counselors. The DC is responsible for staff supervision, program planning, overseeing program budgets, program development and implementation, assessment and evaluation, and staff development. The DC has the responsibility for insuring that program staff follow through on all planning, budgetary, scheduling and implementation tasks. DC will take the lead on evaluating counseling cases and supervising case management in addition to carrying a small caseload.
- Responsible for staff supervision including evaluations, weekly individual supervision, and staff development.
- Takes the lead on evaluating counseling cases and supervising case management.
- Ensures program staff follow through on all safety protocols, planning, scheduling and implementation of tasks.
- Ensures timeliness of reports, deadlines, and adheres to contractual obligations.
- Serve as primary clinical contact for the program, carrying a caseload and performing case management duties for a small caseload including the most at-risk students.
- Performs all duties related to carrying a primary counselor caseload, including attendance outreach, one-on-one counseling, and home visits.
- Creates an environment that promotes learning in the field of social work principles and ethics and the QCH mission.
- Assists counselors with developing caseload meeting curriculum and co-facilitates weekly.
- Cultivate and develop collegial partnership with other community based organizations, funding agencies, and resource organizations.
- Provides assessment, counseling, and mental health referrals in addition to follow-up services.
- Manage day-to-day social emotional issues of students that may include crisis intervention.
- Plan and facilitate monthly case conferencing meeting for the entire QCH team.
- Engage student’s families to support positive outcomes for students.
- Keep accurate case records and input all case notes into database.
- Offer workshops and groups in areas relating to mental health such as abuse prevention, coping with stress, healthy relationships, peer pressure, etc.
- Meet with staff from sister LTW sites to share learning, compare approaches, and develop new program ideas.
- Work closely with DOE staff in regards to any and all mental health protocols and assist with out-of-school issues and provide crisis intervention as needed.
- Attend and actively participate in weekly leadership and attendance meetings.
- Supervisor on site when Director is not present / Keep Director informed at all times.
- The Director of Counseling may perform other duties as assigned by the Program Director.
- MSW or related degree and at least two (2) years of supervisory experience required.
- SIFI certification a plus.
- Team orientated and invested in the development of staff.
- Previous work experience with youth required, preferably in a NYC high school setting.
- Takes initiative and functions independently with professionalism.
- Reflects the mission and culture of QCH.
- Seeks out opportunities to learn from colleagues and to continually improve program.
- Delegates appropriately.
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package includes medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too, and as such, staff can earn generous annual leave, 12 sick days, and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities.
STATUS: Full-Time, Exempt
SALARY: High $50K range w/ Excellent Benefits Package.
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday 8:00am- 4:00pm
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Director of Counseling” at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Note: Applications submitted without a formal cover letter will not be considered
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER --- DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE