EMPLOYMENT SPECIALIST (YOUTH EMPLOYMENT SERVICES)
August 26, 2019
Queens Community House (QCH) is seeking a qualified Employment Specialist with a strong commitment to youth development for an opening in Youth Employment Services Department. The Youth Employment Services Department provides workforce development training and experiences for young adults in Queens. The Employment Specialist will deliver work readiness skills training and support to groups of diverse participants between the ages of 14-24 years old in our Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP); Work, Learn, & Grow Employment Program (WLG); and Queens NDA Opportunity Youth Program.
- Develop positive attitudes toward the work environment and related responsibilities in participants.
- Assist participants in developing appropriate work and educational goals.
- Assist in modeling and teaching appropriate workforce behavior and communication for participants.
- Identify participant needs by evaluating strengths and areas for growth.
- Facilitate trainings that will develop participants for employment and career paths.
- Acclimate participants to programs and conduct orientation sessions.
- Complete all required paperwork, data entry, and clerical tasks.
- Maintain participant files and record all appropriate case notes.
- Periodically evaluate ongoing program activities and training to ensure effectiveness.
- Perform outreach and recruitment of participants and worksite partners for the programs.
- Visit worksite partners to assess progress of participants and inspect worksite environment.
- Assist Youth Employment Services Department staff in facilitating additional program orientation, service learning, and workshop sessions.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Services, Education, Social Work, and Human Resources preferred; equivalent combination of applicable training and experience may be substituted for education requirements.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with youth, preferably in the area of workforce development.
- Demonstrated ability to engage external collaborative partners and make referrals to wrap-around services within the organization for participants and their families.
- Prior experience in facilitating workshops or training sessions.
- Ability to present information to a variety of audiences.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking, and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
- Proficiency with various computer programs such as MS Office and willingness to learn new ones.
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package for full-time staff includes medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too, and as such staff can earn up to 27 days of annual leave and 12 sick days, and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities.
STATUS: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: Low $40K range; commensurate w/ experience; excellent benefits
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm; some evenings may be required
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “YES Employment Specialist” to Alexandria Sumpter-Delves, email@example.com.