August 15, 2019
Queens Community House (QCH) is seeking a qualified Counseling Specialist with a strong commitment to youth development to work in our Newtown High School Youth Development Center operated by QCH in collaboration with the Department of Education and the NYC Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD). The Counseling Specialist will work with a caseload of 9th and 10th grade students. With the support of their Counseling Specialist, and through participation in the program, youth will be promoted to the next grade at the end of the school year and remain on track for graduation.
- Support a caseload of students through individual and group counseling.
- Conduct engaging group counseling sessions during students’ lunch periods. Potential topics may include bullying, anger management, academic/study skills, college planning, and other academic/personal topics of relevance to adolescents.
- Maintain student confidentiality and exercise appropriate discretion.
- Develop individualized academic and social emotional plans with each student.
- Follow up with students to assess progress and support students towards accomplishing their goals.
- Monitor students’ grades and attendance in order to make sure students are on track for grade promotion.
- Enter counseling progress notes and program attendance into the online database in a timely manner.
- Connect students to school and community-based resources and make appropriate referrals as needed.
- Demonstrate appropriate communication with students, staff, collaborating partners, companies and other stakeholders.
- Aide in recruiting and enrolling participants by promoting the program in a positive, engaging manner to those who qualify.
- Identify and outreach to students who have not been attending the program and encourage them to participate.
- Meet with Program Director to discuss areas of concerns and difficulties when working with youth.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Master’s Degree preferred ; Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Counseling, or a related field required.
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with youth preferably in a similar setting; high school population preferred.
- Experience with group counseling.
- Strong knowledge of the NYC DOE high school setting and graduation requirements.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
- Proficiency with various computer programs and willingness to learn new ones.
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits. Prospective employees are required to obtain the clearances required by the NYC DOE and QCH before working with youth. The work schedule for this position will be Monday through Thursday between 9:30AM and 5:30PM with some flexibility for program trips, trainings, and other special events. The program will not meet during school closures (Winter Break, Spring Break, etc) and program staff are not expected to work during these breaks.
STATUS: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $21.50/hour, 19 hours/week
SCHEDULE: Monday-Thursday, between 9:30AM and 5:30PM
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “PT Counseling Specialist” to email@example.com or mail to:
Newtown High School
48-01 90th street
C/O: Queens Community House - Room 363
Elmhurst, NY 11373
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER --- DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE