July 11, 2019
Queens Community House (QCH) is seeking a qualified Employment Specialist for our Learning to Work (LTW) program at Voyages Preparatory High School in Elmhurst, Queens to be responsible for providing comprehensive support services by preparing participants for internships, job opportunities, and overall post-secondary planning.
The LTW Program is an alternative pathway to graduation for youth 17 years and older, funded by The NYC Department of Education and implemented in collaboration with Queens Community House (QCH). We are committed to providing support services to students who desire to pursue their high school diploma.
- Carry a caseload of up to 45 students and perform all duties related including attendance outreach, one-on-one counseling and post-secondary planning,
- Counsel each student on the creation and implementation of a post-secondary plan for college, training, or employment within 60 days of enrollment.
- Provide a minimum of (2) individual sessions per month for each student; one on academic progress and the other on career advisement.
- Co-plan and co-facilitate advisory with a DOE counterpart.
- Maintain case files and record all student interventions weekly in Salesforce.
- Facilitate communication and structured meetings between students and teachers.
- Ensure that required follow-up is made to graduates in the months of July and February.
- Begin the CUNY and FAFSA application process with eligible students on caseload.
- Refer students to the College Access and Success Program (CASP) Case Manager who have applied to LaGuardia College, BMCC, and/or Queensborough Community College as their 1st or 2nd choice on their CUNY application.
- Connect students to outside resources and make appropriate referrals as needed.
- Work closely with the Internship Coordinator on planning and executing trips with an employment-related theme such as alternative to college fairs, career panels, and workshops.
- Demonstrate appropriate communication with students, staff, collaborating partners, companies, and other stakeholders.
- Support the transfer school co-workers in the area of employment services (including but not limited to: assistance with job applications, mock interviews, job shadowing, and resume/cover letter creation).
- Follow up with students interested in job placement to give added support.
- Support students with bi-weekly submission of internship timesheets as needed.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned by Program Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Services, Education, Social Work, and Human Resources preferred; equivalent combination of applicable training and experience may be substituted for education requirements.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with youth, preferably in a similar setting; high school population preferred.
- Ability to engage collaborative partners effectively and professionally.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking, and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, professionalism, and use appropriate discretion.
- Proficiency with various computer programs and willingness and ability to learn new ones.
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package includes medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn up to 27 annual leave days, 12 sick days and enjoy most federal holidays.
STATUS: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: High $30K range – Excellent Benefits
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm, with flexibility for events, home visits, meeting and training time
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Voyages Employment Specialist– LTW” at firstname.lastname@example.org .
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER --- DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE