June 19, 2019
Queens Community House is seeking a qualified Education Specialist with a strong commitment to youth development to work at our Young Adult Borough Center (YABC) at High School for Arts and Business. The YABC/LTW Program is an alternative pathway to graduation for youth 17 years and older. The program is funded by the NYC Department of Education and implemented in collaboration with and at the site of YABC at High School for Arts and Business. We are committed to providing students with support services to achieve their goal of earning a high school diploma.
The Education Specialist will provide comprehensive support services to program participants as required by contract and appropriate to their needs in order to prepare them for positions in internships and job openings through the provision of one-on-one tutelage and the facilitation of vocational skills, college awareness, post-secondary planning and workshops for the students in the Queens Community House Young Adult Borough Center/ Learning To Work Program. The Educational Specialist reports to the YABC Program Director.
- Conduct on-going attendance outreach, including home visits and work site visits, daily.
- Prepare and maintain accurate and timely documentation (progress notes, hiring packets, time sheets etc.), in required formats (Google Forms and Salesforce), to ensure QCH records are complete and accurately depict services rendered to participants.
- Maintain case files and record all student interventions weekly into Salesforce and ensure case notes are complete, with clarity, quality, and accuracy in recording.
- Carry out case management duties including: counsel each student on the creation and implementation of a post-secondary plan for college, training, or employment within 60 days of enrollment and provide a minimum of (2) individual sessions per month with each student; one session on academic progress and the other on career advisement.
- Monitor academic progress and discuss grades/report cards during individual counseling sessions with students.
- Support the CUNY and Financial Aid application process with eligible students on caseload then refer students to QCH’s College Access and Success Program (CASP) Case Manager to ensure they receive additional college access support.
- Serve as point person for CASP Case Manager by scheduling student appointments and making sure these sessions are entered in Salesforce.
- Facilitate communication and structured meetings between students and teachers.
- Take the lead on planning and executing monthly college and trade school visits throughout the school year.
- Plan and execute College and Alternative to College Fairs and workshops in collaboration with other staff.
- Provide job and/or college related counseling that assist participants to identify strengths/interests and career or college options to ensure students are prepared to enter a college, trade school or the workforce.
- Conduct advisory groups by facilitating curricula and discussion in the following content areas: job readiness, career exploration, conflict resolution, political education, mediation, leadership, community service, youth employment, gender groups, life after high school, etc.
- Provide continuous feedback, resources, and make referrals as needed to meet the students’ individual needs
- Maintain on-going communication with parents/guardians of participants to support positive outcomes.
- Meet bi-weekly with immediate supervisor and come prepared with agenda items to discuss.
- Attend mandatory agency quarterly staff meetings and parent-teacher conferences.
- Work collaboratively with DOE staff.
- Ensure that required follow-ups are made to graduates in the months of July and February.
- Take initiative and demonstrate flexibility in responding to school needs.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned by the Program Director.
- Bachelor’s Degree required preferably in psychology, education, social work, or a related field.
- A minimum of two (2) years’ experience working with youth, preferably in a NYC high school setting.
- Full-time Monday through Thursday from 12:30 PM-8:30PM, and Friday 9:00 AM- 5:00 PM. Summer 7:30am-3:30pm. Schedule will also vary depending on school events, home visits, staff trainings, and meetings.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and facilitate activities and manage classroom expectations.
- Experience in facilitating group sessions in leadership, college readiness, and employment opportunities.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking, and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office and data management software with willingness to learn new programs.
- Ability to take initiative in all aspects of the job, function independently, and work with professionalism.
- Seeks supervision when needed and maintains positive interactions with supervisor.
- Reflects the mission and culture of QCH in all interaction with staff, students, and the community.
- Manages time well to plan and handle tasks in a timely, competent manner.
- Work as a team with fellow LTW employment specialists and all LTW staff to complete tasks.
- Seeks out opportunities to learn from colleagues, attends trainings to continually improve program and professional development, and shares knowledge with others.
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such staff can earn annual leave days, sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities.
STATUS: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: mid – high $30K; excellent benefits
SCHEDULE: Monday-Thursday 12:30pm–8:30pm; Fridays 9am – 5pm.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Education Specialist” to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please Note: applications submitted without a formal cover letter will not be considered.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER --- DRUG FREE WORKPLACE