INTERNSHIP COORDINATOR (LTW PROGRAM @ JOHN ADAMS HS)
May 29, 2019
Queens Community House (QCH) is seeking a qualified Internship Coordinator, reporting to the Program Director, with a strong commitment to youth development. The Learning To Work Program (LTW) is an alternative pathway to graduation for youth 16 years and older, the program is funded by NYC Department of Education implemented in collaboration with and at the site at YABC at John Adams High School. We are committed to providing support services to students who desire to pursue their high school diploma. Students in the LTW program are given the opportunity to participate 10 hours a week in a paid internship and expand their knowledge of career and college options at one-hour weekly seminars.
- Develop internships across a diverse range of employment fields that meet the range of students’ interests to ensure that participants gain appropriate job skills.
- Prepare and maintain accurate and timely documentation in required formats (i.e. Sales Force database, hiring packets, timesheets, etc.) to ensure QCH records are complete and accurately depict services rendered to participants.
- Provide coverage and leadership when Program Director is off site or out of the office.
- Plan and execute career panels, fairs, and workshops in collaboration with other primary counselors.
- Provide guidance to employers on maximizing internship experiences by working effectively with adolescents.
- Provide support to employers and students during internships in the form of phone calls, meetings and site visits.
- Facilitate weekly seminars that demonstrate high quality group work/classroom management skills and solid content knowledge of education and career development to ensure student needs are met.
- Provide job and/or college-related counseling that assists participants in identifying strengths/interests and career or college options to ensure students are prepared for work/or college.
- Overall supervisory responsibility over internship program planning, reporting, tracking, program development and implementation, assessment and evaluation, and contract compliance.
- Collaborate with other LTW staff to ensure program effectiveness, compare approaches and develop new program ideas.
- Effectively manage relationships and communication with youth, QCH staff, and DOE staff, to ensure program and participant needs are met.
- Provide continuous feedback and resources to meet the students’ individual needs.
- Assist with out-of-school issues and provide crisis intervention as needed.
- Engage students’ families to support positive outcomes for the students.
- Support student recruitment efforts and conduct intake assessments and interview.
- Perform all duties related to carrying a primary counselor caseload, including attendance outreach, counseling and advisory.
- The Internship Coordinator may perform other duties as assigned by the Program Director.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Services, Education, Social Work, and Human Resources preferred; equivalent combination of applicable training and experience may be substituted for education requirements.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with youth preferably in a similar setting; high school population preferred.
- Supervisory experience or strong leadership skills preferred.
- Ability to engage collaborative partners with the organization and with each other.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
- Proficiency with various computer programs and willingness to learn new ones.
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn generous annual leave and sick days, and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities.
STATUS: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: Mid $40K range; commensurate w/ experience; excellent benefits
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday; 1:00 PM to 9:00 PM
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Internship Coordinator - YABC at John Adams” at email@example.com
Please Note: Applications submitted without a formal cover letter will not be considered.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER --- DRUG-FREE WORKPLACE