YOUTHBUILD SOCIAL WORKER
May 7, 2019
Queens Community House is seeking a qualified Social Worker with a strong commitment to short-term and crisis counseling to join our YouthBuild program’s staff team. The YouthBuild program engages out-of-school, low-income youth ages 16-24 and provides an alternative education and employment pathway that enables participants to obtain a high school equivalency diploma, advance toward post-secondary education or career-oriented employment, and take responsibility for their families and communities. This position requires one full year of graduate follow-up services to students once they exit program.
- Provide ongoing counseling support, advocacy, and guidance to program members of the Queens YouthBuild program to assist them in dealing with their academic, personal, legal, and social service needs, especially those needs that interfere with their ability to meet the program requirements and their personal goals.
- Oversee program orientation for new participants and ensure that all intake paperwork and assessments are completed.
- Assess personal needs of YouthBuild participants and assists with finding resources to meet their needs.
- Provides individual and group counseling to YouthBuild participants.
- Advocate with human service, health, and court and criminal justice systems to resolve issues facing youth participants.
- Make home visits, as appropriate, to assess and support the youth’s needs.
- Supervise a minimum of two social work interns.
- Submit accurate monthly and quarterly reports and monitor program to ensure it is on track for meeting goals.
- Facilitate weekly check-in sessions (discussions) or support groups.
- Meet regularly with staff to develop and maintain a consistent approach to best support and expand the personal growth and leadership skills of youth.
- Identify, organize, and expose youth to cultural, political, and social events or activities.
- Responsible for leadership development activities as defined by the Program Director; Ensure that the leadership development philosophy and programs are being carried out
- Create opportunities for alumni gatherings or other activities featuring opportunities for peer support, counseling, and further education on common challenges to help graduates make successful transitions.
- Maintain case files and record all student contact weekly in SalesForce.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- LMSW (Licensed Master of Social Work) with SIFI certification required.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with youth populations.
- Must be comfortable working with unemployed/under-employed youth population.
- Understanding of the issues facing young people in the community where the program is located and a willingness to learn from young people.
- Ability to engage collaborative partners with the organization and with each other.
- Ability to relate well with others, a team player with a positive attitude.
- Must be customer service oriented.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking, and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
- Proficiency with various computer programs and willingness to learn new ones.
STATUS: Full-Time; Non-Exempt
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday, 9 am-5 pm
SALARY: $55-60 K; commensurate with experience; excellent benefits
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn generous annual leave and sick days, and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Social Worker” at email@example.com
Please Note: Applications submitted without a formal cover letter will not be considered
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER --- DRUG FREE WORKPLACE