ACTIVITY SPECIALISTS (Sports, Art, Literacy, Guitar, Leadership, or STEM)
March 28, 2019
We are seeking qualified Activity Specialists with a strong commitment to youth development for our After School Programs. The Activity Specialists will serve as a model for middle school and elementary school youth by providing an engaging and fun experience, while conducting activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, practice and implementation.
We are seeking multiple Activity Specialists that have expertise in the following areas: Sports, Dance, Art, Literacy, Guitar, Leadership Development, and STEM
- Understand and enforce program expectations, policies and protocols to ensure a safe and respectful environment in alignment with agency, school and funder protocols and guidelines.
- Create and implement effective and interesting age appropriate lesson plans and curriculum that adhere to program goals.
- Collaborate with after school staff around themes and special projects and take direction and supervision from Educational Specialist and Director and Assistant Directors.
- Communicate with Assistant Director and Director about any schedule and classroom modifications, behavioral or environmental issues.
- Role Model and Demonstrate appropriate communication with all stakeholders of the program (participants, families, teachers, staff and funders).
- Assist participants in homework and provide them with tools to succeed in school.
- Assist with the organization and implementation of special events, activities and projects.
- Ensuring safety of all participants.
- Create a nurturing and fostering atmosphere to learn and create a sense of belonging for participants.
- Secure classrooms and space used, at the end of program.
- Attend weekly staff meeting and complete professional development hours indicated at the time of hiring.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor(s).
- Minimum of 18 years old.
- Enrollment in College in a related field (Education/Human Development/Sociology/Human Services—for at least two years.
- At least three (3) years of experience in leading and conducting activities for youth in after school or camp settings.
- A specialization/experience in the activity content area you are applying for.
- Strong facilitation, conflict resolution and group management skills in working with groups of youth to engage them in discussions in the areas of Leadership, community service, civic engagement or debate and current events.
- Knowledge of skill development strategies in working with middle school youth and gender based programming.
- Interest in developing and providing quality hand on inquiry-based project based projects based on participant, school and community needs.
- Strong work ethic and professional demeanor and team-oriented attitude.
- Organized, self-motivated and effective time management skills.
- Ability to motivate participants to participate in activities and promote leadership skill development.
- Computer savvy and excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be cleared of NYS DOH Fingerprinting Screening; NYS Clearance Review Background Check; 3 Reference Checks; physical examination with updated TB test.
Status: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Salary: $18-$21 per hour
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Activity Specialist (insert specialization here)” to Jose Mateo at JMateo@qchnyc.org.