GROUP LEADER @ POMONOK
January 23, 2019
We are seeking a Group Leader with a strong commitment to youth development to work in our Youth Development Program at our Pomonok Community Center. The Group Leader is responsible for the direct guidance, supervision, and safety of youth under their care, while ensuring an engaging and intellectually stimulating experience. He/she will serve as a model for youth ages 6-12 by building rapport with participants through positive interactions in program activities. The program’s activities include the following: educational enrichment, homework help, fitness, life skills/character development and physical recreation.
- Responsible for the guidance, supervision, and safety of youth ages 6-12 with adherence to determined schedule.
- Design and lead in-house and external learning, recreational, arts and developmental activities for youth (sports, games, arts and crafts, theatre, field trips, etc.).
- Develop and implement age-appropriate curriculum; submit sequenced lesson plans in advance.
- Demonstrate appropriate communication with students, staff, and other stakeholders.
- Engage with youth and use appropriate strategies to preemptively defuse inappropriate behavior and encourage positive interactions demonstrating effective program and classroom management.
- Ensure proper care of all area materials, organize room and report any misused or damaged materials to Directors in order to ensure safety and effective operations.
- Responsible for tracking, completion and timely submission of all program reports relative to this position, including but not limited to participant attendance, performance, supply requests, lesson plans and timesheets.
- Assist and support organization of special events such as talent shows, awards, trainings, and parent meetings as necessary.
- Communicate with Program Director and Assistant Director about any issues including schedule modifications or important behavioral or environmental difficulties.
- Participate in training and staff development activities.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Minimum of 18 years old
- Minimum of High School Diploma or GED and must be currently enrolled in an institution of higher education.
- Minimum of two (2) years' experience working with youth in a variety of settings preferably in an after-school or summer camp setting. Babysitting or tutoring experience alone will not be acceptable.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and facilitate leadership, community service, civic engagement and enrichment activities.
- Experience in developing group lesson plans or integrated learning packages.
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength-based and/or youth development perspective.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
- Supervisory experience is ideal.
- Must be obtain and maintain all necessary clearances and requirements by regulating agencies that may include fingerprinting screening, NYS Central Registrar Background Check, Staff Exclusion List (SEL) and a physical examination with updated TB test.
STATUS: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
SCHEDULE: Mon-Fri, 2:15PM -6:00 PM.
This position is available immediately. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn up to 40 hours of sick time per year and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Group Leader” to Stephanie Lewis at email@example.com.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - DRUG FREE WORKPLACE