ACADEMIC JUNIOR ACTIVITY SPECIALIST
January 9, 2019
We are seeking a qualified Junior Activity Specialist with a strong commitment to youth development for our After School Program. The Junior Activity Specialist will serve as a model for youth by providing an engaging and fun experience, while conducting activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, practice and implementation.
- Understand and enforce program expectations, policies and protocols to ensure a safe and respectful environment in alignment with agency, school and funder protocols and guidelines.
- Creating and implementing effective and interesting age appropriate lesson plans and curriculum that adhere to program goals.
- Collaborate with after school staff around themes and special projects and take supervision from Educational Specialist and Director and Assistant Directors.
- Communicate with Assistant Director and Director about any schedule and classroom modifications, behavioral or environmental issues.
- Role Model and Demonstrate appropriate communication with all stakeholders of the program (participants, families, teachers, staff and funders).
- Assist participants in homework and provide them with tools to succeed in school.
- Assist with the organization and implementation of special events, activities and projects.
- Ensuring safety of all participants.
- Create a nurturing and fostering atmosphere to learn and create a sense of belonging for participants.
- Secure classrooms and space used, at the end of program.
- Attend weekly staff meeting and complete professional development hours indicated at the time of hiring.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor(s).
- Minimum of 18 years old.
- Enrollment in College in a related field (Education/Human Development/Sociology/Human Services—for at least two years.
- At least two (2) years of experience in leading and conducting activities for youth (preferably Middle School population) in after school or camp settings.
- Ability to tutor and support academic enrichment in Mathematics, Science, History, and English.
- Strong facilitation, conflict resolution and group management skills in working with groups of youth to engage them in discussions in the areas of Leadership, community service, civic engagement or debate and current events.
- Knowledge of skill development strategies in working with middle school youth and gender based programming.
- Interest in developing and providing quality hand on inquiry-based project based projects based on participant, school and community needs.
- Strong work ethic and professional demeanor and team-oriented attitude.
- Organized, self -motivated and effective time management skills.
- Ability to motivate participants to participate in activities and promote leadership skill development.
- Computer savvy and excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be cleared of NYS DOH and DOE Fingerprinting Screening; NYS Clearance Review Background Check; 3 Reference Checks; physical examination with updated TB test.
STATUS: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
SCHEDULE: Mon-Fri, 2:00PM -5:30PM.
additional prep, meeting and training time.
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn annual leave days, sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Academic Junior Activity Specialist” to Lorraine Hernandez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
“Queens Community House After-school Program”
Attention: Lorraine Hernandez
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - DRUG FREE WORKPLACE