December 18, 2018
We are seeking a qualified Educational Specialist (EDS) with a strong commitment to youth development at our Learning to Work Program in Elmhurst. The Educational Specialist will provide comprehensive supportive services to program participants as required by contract and appropriate to their needs in order to prepare them for positions in internships and job openings. The LTW Program is an alternative pathway to graduation for youth 17 years and older, funded by The NYC Department of Education and implemented in collaboration with Queens Community House (QCH). We are committed to providing support services to students who desire to pursue their high school diploma.
- Conduct on-going attendance outreach, including home visits and work site visits.
- Counsel each student on the creation and implementation of a post-secondary plan for college, training or employment within 60 days of enrollment.
- Provide a minimum of (2) individual sessions per month of each student; one on academic progress and the other on career advisement.
- Conduct advisory groups by facilitating curricula and discussion in the following content areas: job readiness, career exploration, conflict resolution, political education, mediation, leadership, community service, youth employment, gender groups, psychoeducation, etc.
- Maintain on-going communication with parents and guardians of participants to support positive outcomes for the students’ and assist families with identified needs.
- Maintain case files and record all student interventions weekly into Google forms.
- Meet bi-weekly with immediate supervisor and come prepared with agenda items to discuss.
- Facilitate communication and structured meetings between students and teachers.
- Monitor academic progress and discuss grades/report cards during your individual counseling sessions.
- Connect students to outside resources and make appropriate referrals if needed.
- Attend mandatory agency quarterly staff meetings and parent-teacher conferences.
- Work collaboratively with DOE staff.
- Take the lead on planning and executing monthly college visits, workshops and presentations from January – June.
- Support the LTW co-workers in the area of college advisement (including but not limited to; college research information, SAT registration, financial aid, assistance with the application process and college registration).
- Follow up with student interested in college to give added support.
- Point person for alumni seeking college assistance/support.
- Ensure that required follow-ups are made to graduates in the months of July and February. Record all interventions in Google docs.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in psychology, education, social work or a related field.
- A minimum of 3 years’ of experience working with youth, preferably in a NYC high school setting.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate discretion.
- Computer proficiency with various programs and willingness to learn new ones.
- Bilingual, Spanish preferred.
STATUS: Full-Time, Exempt
SALARY: Low - Mid 30’s w/ Excellent Benefits
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm with flexibility for events, home visits, meeting and training time
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package includes medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn up to 27 annual leave days, 12 sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Educational Specialist– LTW” to Ivonne Torres at email@example.com.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - DRUG FREE WORKPLACE