CASP MATH TUTOR
December 11, 2018
We are seeking a qualified Math Instructor/Tutor with a strong commitment to youth development and higher education to work in our College Access & Success Program (CASP). The CASP Program supports graduates from our partner high schools with enrolling at CUNY community colleges or local trade schools and intensively supports them to persist towards earning their degree and/or certification. The Math Tutor will provide instructional support for college going students, individually or in small groups by providing strategies to help them be more successful in mathematics courses. S/he will encourage students to develop confidence and become more independent learners while working towards strong outcomes.
- Provide intensive instruction in mathematics (algebra) for HS students in a one-on-one or small group setting to prepare them to pass the math portion of the CUNY Assessment test.
- Observe and track student’s progress and attendance through monitoring data base system, logs, diagnostics, etc.
- Develop and administer pre/post assessment tool to track progress and demonstrate impact of instruction.
- Schedule individual or group sessions with students based on the submission of math referral form; send reminder email/text prior to each session and follow up on missed sessions.
- Document and maintain accurate attendance and anecdotal records on student progress towards achievement goals.
- Assist in preparation of documentation for annual program audits.
- Participate in meetings, training and staff development activities.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree with a focus in Math, Education and/or other highly relevant field.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience as a math tutor or classroom teacher for grades 9-12.
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment and address different learning styles.
- Ability to travel between sites located throughout the borough of Queens.
- Knowledge of barriers faced by low income, first generation, college bound students and experience working with and motivating diverse high school and/or college-aged populations from underrepresented communities.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking, problem-solving and communication skills.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
STATUS: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $15.00 per hour
SCHEDULE: 10 hours per week; Flexible schedule between sites; Occasional evening hours for school events, staff trainings, and meetings.
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such staff can earn annual leave days, sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “CASP Math Tutor to Emily Jimenez at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - DRUG FREE WORKPLACE