ASSISTANT PROGRAM COORDINATOR
October 29, 2018
Pomonok Community Center
We are seeking a qualified Assistant Program Coordinator with a strong commitment to youth development supporting The Youth Development Center at Pomonok Community Center. The Assistant Program Coordinator, in the absence of the Program Coordinator, will serve as the point person to all staff, participants, parents, and stakeholders. S/he will ensure that staff are providing/facilitating fun and engaging activities with a focus on: Academic Support, Leadership Development, Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM), Literacy, Healthy Living, and Physical Recreation. The Assistant Program Coordinator will also oversee the Pomonok Leaders in Training program, which works with a select group of 11-15 year olds on themes relevant to their interests. Themes have focused in the past on sustainability, and food justice. S/he will be responsible for providing opportunities for Leaders in training to get involved in their community through service learning projects.
- Assist the Program Coordinator with overall day-to-day operations and management of the Pomonok Afterschool Enrichment Program.
- Ensure that age-appropriate lesson plans and enrichment activities are aligned with school day instructional practices, skills-based curricula, and program thematic projects.
- Assist the afterschool and summer camp staff with development of curricula themes emphasizing STEM related themes, lesson planning, classroom and behavior management, and developing activities that support academics and enrichment.
- Serve as supervisor in charge in the absence of the Director and ensure that all pertinent responsibilities are followed up on.
- Maintain familiarity of all QCH, SACC, DYCD and other funder-related or stakeholder protocols.
- Contribute to building and maintaining collaborative relationships within the Pomonok Community Center and Pomonok community, with the feeder schools and school leadership, and with all stakeholders who interface with the program (QCH colleagues, funders, participants, parents, community, etc.).
- Assist Program Coordinator with planning, implementing and recruiting for Leaders in Training and Teen Council.
- Provide support and direction to Activity Specialist assigned to Leaders in Training program.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work, Education, Sociology, Psychology, or related field required.
- Minimum of three (3) years’ experience working with youth (elementary school aged and middle school experience a plus).
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience supervising staff.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, time management and communication skills.
- Knowledge of positive Youth Development principles and a commitment to work from a strength-based perspective.
- Willingness to take initiative and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Ability to motivate participants to participate in activities which focus on: Academic Support, Leadership Development, STEM, Literacy, Healthy Living, and Physical Recreation.
- Ability to attend occasional morning, evening, or weekend meetings and/or trainings.
- Must be cleared and maintain clearance throughout duration of employment by NYS DOH and DOE fingerprinting screening, NYS Central Registrar Background Check, 3 Reference checks, Staff Exclusion List (SEL); must provide a physical examination with updated TB test.
STATUS: Full-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: Mid-high 30’s, w/ comprehensive benefit package
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday; 10:00am to 6:00pm w/ some flexibility to work evenings and weekends
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn annual leave days, sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Assistant Program Coordinator – AEP” to Stephanie Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - DRUG FREE WORKPLACE