GROUP LEADER @ FOREST HILLS
September 13, 2018
We are seeking a qualified Group Leader for our After School Program at Forest Hills with a strong commitment to youth development. Our Children and Youth division for ages 6 to 10 allow participants to explore interests and passions, develop positive social connections, contribute to their community, become life-long learners, and gain meaningful experiences. The Group Leader is responsible for the direct guidance, supervision, and safety of youth under their care, while ensuring an engaging and intellectually stimulating experience. He/she will serve as a model for youth ages 6-10 by building rapport with participants through positive interactions in program activities.
- Responsible for the guidance, supervision, and safety of middle school youth with adherence to determined schedule.
- Develop and implement age-appropriate curriculum; submit sequenced lesson plans for STEM, literacy and leadership activities in advance.
- Mentor a small team and develop participants’ athletic skills in soccer or basketball; referee games when needed.
- Engage with youth and use appropriate strategies to preemptively defuse inappropriate behavior and encourage positive interactions demonstrating effective program and classroom management.
- Ensure proper care of all area materials, organize room and report any misused or damaged materials to Directors in order to ensure safety and effective operations.
- Responsible for tracking, completion and timely submission of all program reports relative to this position, including but not limited to participant attendance, performance, supply requests, and lesson plans.
- Demonstrate appropriate communication with students, staff, and other stakeholders.
- Communicate with families regarding attendance, behavior, and participation of participants.
- Communicate with Program Director about any issues including schedule modifications or important behavioral or environmental difficulties.
- Support organization of special events and field trips.
- Participate in training, agency events and staff development activities.
- Ensure physical and emotional safety of all participants.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Minimum of 18 years old.
- Minimum of High School Diploma or GED. Enrollment in in an institution of high education preferred; college studies in psychology, education, social work, or related field a plus.
- Minimum of two (2) years of experience working with youth in a variety of settings.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and facilitate leadership and sports enrichment activities with an understanding of youth development principles.
- Knowledge of basketball or soccer required; previous experience playing or coaching a plus.
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength-based and/or youth development perspective.
- Knowledge of youth development principles such as: Social Emotional Learning (SEL) a plus.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills.
- Must be cleared by regulating agencies as a condition of employment including NYS DOH Fingerprinting Screening; DOE fingerprinting; NYS Clearance Review Background Check; NYS Department of Justice clearance; and receive medical clearance from physician.
STATUS: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
SCHEDULE: Monday through Friday 2:30PM-6:30PM
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn generous annual leave and sick days, and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume in an email with subject line “Group Leader - ASP” to Mark Loercher at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants without a High School Diploma or GED will not be considered.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - DRUG FREE WORKPLACE