ACTIVITY SPECIALIST @ QCSMST
August 16, 2018
Queens College School for Math, Science & Technology
We are seeking a qualified Activity Specialist with a strong commitment to youth development for our After-School Program @ The Queens College School for Math, Science, and Technology (QCSMST). The Activity Specialist will serve as a model for middle school youth by providing an engaging and fun experience, while conducting activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, practice and implementation.
- Understand and enforce program expectations, policies and protocols to ensure a safe and respectful environment in alignment with agency, school and funder protocols and guidelines.
- Create and implement effective and interesting age appropriate lesson plans and curriculum that adhere to program goals.
- Lead and facilitate instructional projects and activities in various disciplines.
- Collaborate with after school staff around themes and special projects and take supervision from Educational Specialist and Director and Assistant Directors.
- Create a nurturing and fostering atmosphere to learn and create a sense of belonging for participants.
- Communicate with Assistant Director and Director about any schedule and classroom modifications, behavioral or environmental issues.
- Model and demonstrate appropriate communication and professionalism with all stakeholders of the program (participants, families, teachers, staff and funders).
- Assist with the organization and implementation of special events, activities and projects.
- Ensure safety of participants at all times.
- Secure classrooms and space used, at the end of program.
- Attend weekly staff meeting and complete professional development hours indicated at the time of hiring.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor(s).
- Minimum of 18 years old.
- At least three (3) years of experience in leading and conducting activities for youth (preferably Middle School population) in after school or camp settings.
- A specialization in a STEM field and/or a Performing or Fine Arts discipline.
- Strong facilitation, conflict resolution and group management skills in working with groups of youth to engage them in discussions in the areas of leadership, community service, civic engagement or debate and current events.
- Knowledge of skill development strategies in working with middle school youth and gender based programming.
- Interest in developing and providing quality hands on inquiry-based projects based on participant, school and community needs.
- Strong work ethic and professional demeanor and team-oriented attitude.
- Organized, self-motivated and effective time management skills.
- Ability to motivate participants to participate in activities and promote leadership skill development.
- Computer savvy and excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be cleared of NYS DOH Fingerprinting Screening; NYS Clearance Review Background Check; 3 Reference Checks; physical examination with updated TB test.
STATUS: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
SCHEDULE: Monday – Friday, 2:30pm – 5:45 pm; additional prep, meeting and training time
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn up annual leave days, sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Activity Specialist” to David DiTrapani at firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to:
Queens College School for Math, Science and Technology - Queens Community House
Attention: David DiTrapani
148-20 Reeves Ave
Flushing, NY 11367
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - DRUG FREE WORKPLACE